Re: Privacy, outages, and plenary

2015-11-04 03:06:06
At 3:02 AM -0500 11/4/15, John C Klensin wrote:

 This version of Meetecho with two-way capability also poses a
 huge privacy problem.   If I enable active, rather than passive,
 participation, I apparently have to agree to give Meetecho
 control of both my microphone and webcam in order to get into
 the session.

 Video is much worse because, having forced me to enable it if I
 may want to make comments, Meetecho insists in turning on my
 camera and broadcasting whatever it sees.  That is a nasty
 invasion of privacy, especially in the context of participants
 in many different time zones.  Based on what one participant
 broadcast for a while, apparently before realizing the camera is
 on, I'm not the only person who doesn't normally feel a need for
 formal dress when participating in a meeting at 3AM my time.

I'm sure many people working from home would not want their camera broadcasting them, and doubtless few other participants would welcome the view.

--
Randall Gellens
We shall not cease from exploration / And the end of all our exploring