Re: Privacy, outages, and plenary

2015-11-04 02:57:22
Hello John,

first of all let me apologize for today’s issues. We’re still investigating the
situation, but we have most probably identified its root cause.
I’ll try to briefly explain what happened (by avoiding useless technicalities
as much as possible) and I hope that this will both clarify the issue and
reassure you a  bit with respect to the privacy issues you are raising.
Actually, we misconfigured the virtual queuing server, due to the need to have
both moderated participants (the ones who ask for the floor and
subsequently enter the queue) and one un-moderated participant (i.e., a user
who is allowed to enter the conversation without being moderated). The latter
was needed
for the event we had right before the plenary’s start time. When the plenary
started, we failed to reboot the virtual server and, for an incredibly
unfortunate combination of events
we got things messed up in the moderation system. This ended up with both an
inconsistent behavior and a hanging communication thread between the queuing
system and the Meetecho server (which brought the system close to starvation
for more than 10 minutes). When such a thread finally crashed, controls were
disabled for a while, which resulted in the crazy behavior you mention in your
mail. Believe me if I tell you that this should definitely never happen and had
never happened before. The virtual queue, though experimental, has proved to
work smoothly until today and it did fail at the plenary just because of a
misconfiguration form our side.
This said, I personally totally agree with your proposal of defining privacy
auditing procedures for all the tools we make use of at the IETF. We are
obviously open to not only subject ourselves to this process, but also actively
contribute to the design of the entire auditing cycle.

Hope this helps shed some light on this regrettable episode and believe me if I
say that I appreciate your feedback, as usual. I know you’ve been one of the
most active remotees so far and
I would like to be sure that you’ll keep on helping us improve our service.

Cheers,

Simon