Re: Privacy, outages, and plenary

2015-11-04 06:15:44

Relative to the question I tried to ask via Jabber, my guess is
that Andrew and Jari were expecting questions to come in via
Meetecho, no one told them it was down or having problems, and
there was therefore no fallback plan such as a designated Jabber
scribe/channel who was logged directly into the Jabber room.   I
tried getting the attention of a few people in the room or on
the stage to tell them about the problem and point folks to
questions in the chat room, but failed.  Stuff happens, Murphy's
Law is still applicable, and it seems to me that one of the key
lessons from this experience is that we should get better at
assuming systems will fail and that we should have detection
mechanisms and fallbacks thought out and in place.  In this
case, the audio feed and slides distributed before the meeting
were adequate, even if not very good, substitutes for Meetecho,
but the failure of the Jabber channel for questions to work was
a much more serious problem.

I’m sorry about this. That was my failure.

Jari