Re: Privacy, outages, and plenary

2015-11-04 09:11:54

--On Wednesday, November 04, 2015 21:15 +0900 Jari Arkko
<jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net> wrote:

Relative to the question I tried to ask via Jabber, my guess
is that Andrew and Jari were expecting questions to come in
via Meetecho, no one told them it was down or having
problems, and there was therefore no fallback plan such as a
designated Jabber scribe/channel who was logged directly into
the Jabber room.   I tried getting the attention of a few

I'm sorry about this. That was my failure.

Jari,

Apology accepted but unnecessary.  I am much more concerned
about our learning from the experience and making sure we have
enough backup mechanisms in place to be sure it does not happen
again.

As one part of that, I have suggested to Simon that, if they
discover that their systems are not behaving in top form, they
take responsibility for being sure that whomever is chairing the
meeting or running the in-room mic queue is aware of the
problem.  I suggest to you, Andrew, and WG Chairs that you be
sure that there is a "Jabber scribe" or designee in the meeting
room who is logged directly into Jabber (not via Meetecho or
other intermediary) and alert to system failures and
disconnects.  It also occurs to me that there should be a
contact mechanism for the Secretariat and/or NOC that is not
dependent on the IETF Jabber servers (or, ideally, even the
Secretariat or meeting networks) being up.

None of those things would be necessary if everything could be
guaranteed to work smoothly.  But, when Murphy's Law gets us,
understanding quickly that things aren't working well, being
able to compensate if feasible and to at least be aware of the
problem in real time, are important.

I agree with Randy's unhappiness about what we are giving remote
participants, especially when things don't go completely
smoothly.  We are doing, IMO, lots better than we were a few
years ago, but, as we continue to offer improved capability, we
also continue to raise expectations and dependencies on fairly
complex systems (systems that include the humans as well as the
software).

     best,
       john