Re: ehip and shutup lists

2015-11-26 07:20:30
John/John,

On 26/11/2015 00:04, John C Klensin wrote:
--On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 22:00 +0000 John Levine
<johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

These two lists were just announced in the past couple of
days, and neither has any traffic yet other than the
announcements.

They are about more or less the same thing, ehip about hiding
info in mail headers, shutup about not recording mail trace
information.
I wasn't able to even figure that much out from the
announcement.  I guessed that "SMTP headers" might mean
SMTP-provided trace header fields, but I can come up with
alternate theories and I got "hiding" not "not recording".  I
did write the list managers about that, but have not yet gotten
a reply.
The two mailing lists are about related, but not exactly the same work.

draft-josefsson-email-received-privacy

My understanding is that ehip is mostly to work on draft-wchuang-grunion-01 ("S/MIME Proxy Forwarding"). "shutup" is for charter discussions and hopefully for the subsequent WG related to personal information reduction in the Received header fields (draft-josefsson-email-received-privacy) and encryption of other sensitive header fields when using S/MIME/OpenPGP (https://modernpgp.org/memoryhole/).
I have my doubts about the wisdom of both, but it seems to me
that it would make sense to pick one list and close the other
down since it'll be the same people arguing about the same
issues on both.
Agreed.  There is another reason as well.  If the intent is to
hide trace and normal (nominally UA-UA) mail header fields in
transit, it is almost certain that the same or closely-related
mechanisms will need to be used, at least unless the plan is to
replace Internet mail's "envelope and header" model with
separate outer envelope, trace envelope, and header model
(perhaps separating part of all of the latter from message
content by more than a blank line) similar to the P1/P2/P3
abstraction in X.400-series email.