Re: Argentina with tourist visa ?

2015-12-17 07:26:17
I am sorry, Jary, but that is just wikiality/make-belief
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_reality

I really wish the IETF would officially ask the argentian authorities about the
rules of immigration for attendees to IETF95, especially if they can enter the
country claiming they are there for tourism. Having that in writing at the
border
would be invaluable.

I called up the argentinian consulate in Hamburg, and they told me that
if i was to attend a conference i would need a business visa. This is also
laid out on their web site:

http://www.ealem.mrecic.gov.ar/node/3416

Or in german:

http://www.ealem.mrecic.gov.ar/de/node/4330

(sorry, no english, but try google translate).

She also sent me the description of the process to then get a business visa.
Appended.
Which involves getting to an appointment in person along with notary public
signed
documents, paying money and the like.

Now, she also said she can't help me because i do not live in  Germany,
so i'll also call/email the consulate in Los Angeles, but i guess if anyone in
germany/from
germany wants to attend IETF, then this would be authoritative.

The other embassy pages, like finland or USA do not explain at all under what
circumstances Argentina requires you to have a business visa. But at least
it clarifies "when travelling as tourist":

http://www.embassyofargentina.us/en/consular-section/visas.html

[ Btw: You surely also remember those immegration/exit forms of most countries
where they
  are asking whether the primary purpose of the trip is business or tourism.
What do
  you usually mark when going to IETF there ? I mark business. ]

I am hereby asking you to have IAOC/IETF request officially with the argentinian
authorities if someone who visits Buenos Aires as a participant to the IETF is
legally permitted to declare that he/she is entering the country as a tourist. I
would something like that printed out when i pass argentinian immigrations.

If IETF participants have to enter as business travellers, then AFAIK almost
every participant who is not a US citizen would have to get a visa which
involves showing up in person at some consulte/embassy.

cheers
    Toerless