Re: Cross-area review (was Meeting rotation)

2015-12-18 18:08:05
On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 01:02:44PM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I'd want objective evidence that we get less cross-area review than
at some date in the past before worrying a great deal. It seems to me
that we are actually doing it more systematically than in the past.

I am prepared to believe that we are in fact doing it more
systematically.  If so, however, the argument you make for the
kismet-review effect of full IETF meetings is actually weaker, since
the system could be set up to encourage things via lists and so on.

But those accidents - hearing about something by chance that you would
never discover by chance on-line - are a major part of the advantage of
our plenary weeks. Being all in one place and time zone allows those
useful accidents to happen.

I agree with this, but like most cases it's a cost-benefit trade, and
we do rather need to keep in mind the very cost we've just been
talking about at length.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com