Payouts for missed blocks (was Re: Hotel situation)

2015-12-28 17:14:22
On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 08:11:51PM +0000, Pat (Patricia) Thaler wrote:
WOuld be interesting to know if IETF ever ran into the problem
of not filling up blocked rooms...

I believe Ray has said in public before (it'd in any case be easy to
spot in the financial reports) that we have never, at least, paid out
because we've missed our commitments to the hotel.  Note that such a
payment would be quite bad for us, because it'd be in effect an
unbudgetted expense the IETF would have to cover somehow.  It's part
of the reason (as I noted in my other posting on this topic) I'm a
little uncomfortable with making hotel deals so far in the future.  It
is a risk we take in contracting a hotel no matter how far in the
future, however (and I think the people negotiating the deals in this
case are doing a good job of managing that risk).

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com