Re: Hotel situation

2015-12-16 12:28:08
On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 12/16/15 9:12 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Looking at their list of past meetings, the vast majority are in the
US. The ones outside the US are almost all regional conferences or the
annual storage conference in Haifa.

Yes, but that's how they've been able to have conference
facilities large enough for most attendees.  It's clear
that there are tradeoffs in the choice of meeting venues.
We've made the choice to prioritize location over facilities.
These are the consequences.

USENIX does not play anything like the role that the Internet
plays in the global infrastructure. There are very good reasons
why folk outside the US were concerned about the US-centric
nature of the IETF and very good reasons why the IETF needs
to make being visibly open a priority.

USENIX is not the subject of any international treaties that I am
aware of. There are quite a few now that are very much about
the Internet.

On the reciprocity fee thing, Chile dropped their $160 fee
when the US dropped their $160 fee last year. It is possible
that a similar agreement will be negotiated with Argentina
before next April.