Re: Proposed New Note Well

2016-01-04 10:05:45
A few quick observations:

The IETF is really only one body (or pretends to be).  If we are
going to revise the Note Well, let's make it cover the whole
system of things we expect people to know about and conform
with, not just IPR policy (with, in this version, a nod to
privacy).  In particular, don't say "By participating with the
IETF, you agree to follow IETF processes and policies" and then
identify only a few of them as if they were the complete list.

The absence of any reference to social behavior norms (e.g.,
anti-harassment policies) is particularly notable by its absence.

Also, I assume the IESG does not intend to publish this document
with a "TBD" in it.   Is there a rush such that the community
should be asked to comment on an incomplete document?  I suggest
that the IESG would not tolerate a request for IETF Last Call on
a WG document that contained such a loose end.

best,
    john

--On Monday, January 04, 2016 07:41 -0800 IESG Secretary