Re: Proposed New Note Well

2016-01-04 13:29:06
I have some comments. I've also attached a proposed update afterwards.

Note Well

This summary

Summary of what? Try:

"This summary of IETF rules"

does not contain all the details and is only meant to point you in the right
direction. Exceptions may apply.

Need a paragraph break here.

The IETF's patent policy and the definition of an IETF "contribution" are set
forth in BCP 79; please read it carefully.

The brief summary:

Those three words are noise.

• By participating with the IETF, you agree to follow IETF processes and
policies.

"By participating in the IETF..."

• If you are aware that any contribution to the IETF is covered by patents or
patent applications that are owned by, controlled by, or would benefit you or
your sponsor, you must disclose that fact, or not participate in the
discussion.

Where does "or would benefit" come from in BCP 79? While I agree with the
sentiment, I don't think it follows from our rules, so I think it must
be deleted.

• As a participant in any IETF activity you acknowledge that written, audio
and video records of meetings may be made and may be available to the public,
and that recordings of you or your likeness, voice and conduct at the
recorded event may be displayed, transmitted, copied, used and promoted in
electronic and physical media accessible throughout the world.

Why so much verbiage? What's missing in "available to the public"?

• Personal information that you provide to IETF will be handled in accordance
with the IETF Privacy Statement set.

What set?

For further information, talk to a chair, ask an Area Director, or review the
following:

That's just sloppy. Try

"Definitive information is in the documents listed below. For advice, please
talk to a working group chair or ask an Area Director."

​
BCP 9 (on the Internet Standards Process)

Please be sure to cite http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/bcp9. That's by far the
best
form of URL for BCPs.

​BCP 25 (on the Working Group processes)
​BCP 78 (on copyright in IETF documents)
​BCP 79 (on patents covering IETF documents)
TBD (on IETF Privacy Statement)

Clearly we need that published before updating the Note Well.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter
Note Well

This summary of IETF rules does not contain all the details and is only meant to point you in the right direction. Exceptions may apply.

The IETF's patent policy and the definition of an IETF "contribution" are set forth in BCP 79; please read it carefully.

  • By participating in the IETF, you agree to follow IETF processes and policies.
  • If you are aware that any contribution to the IETF is covered by patents or patent applications that are owned or controlled by you or your sponsor, you must disclose that fact, or not participate in the discussion.
  • As a participant in any IETF activity you acknowledge that written, audio and video records of meetings may be made and may be available to the public.
  • Personal information that you provide to IETF will be handled in accordance with the IETF Privacy Statement.
Definitive information is in the documents listed below. For advice, please talk to a working group chair or ask an Area Director.

BCP 9 (on the Internet Standards Process)
BCP 25 (on Working Group processes)