Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

Also, any expert review that takes longer than, say, one month should
be red-flagged in some way. RFC 5226 talks about "a few weeks" and
"a reasonable period of time" but doesn't really have teeth, so
it's unclear how long is too long and when a delay is itself a valid
groaund for appeal.

It's late in the day, but I think draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis
should fix that. Like:

OLD:
   Appeals of protocol parameter registration decisions can be made
   using the normal IETF appeals process...

NEW:
   Appeals against protocol parameter registration decisions and
   unreasonable delays in such decisions can be made using the normal
   IETF appeals process...

That won't work without defining "unreasonable".

Additionally, time of year matters, e.g.:

        - the US often goes on a 2-week hiatus at the end of the year

        - the EU often goes on a 4+ week hiatus in late summer

So as long as we accept that some regions have people that will be
inaccessible for several weeks in a row, it's not reasonable to expect
that reviews will happen on a 1-week turnaround 365 days a year.

Joe