Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

2016-01-19 20:17:31

On 1/19/2016 5:49 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:
I think it will, because I think that in most cases the registrants
and the DEs and/or IANA do engage in reasonable consideration of
delays, but that once we get to a point where the DEs and the
registrant are sufficiently at odds that the registrant feels the DEs
are being unreasonable, by whatever definition, and explanations
aren't being accepted, it's time to get an AD involved and to let the
DEs get back to the other work they're doing.

FWIW, we already do that. That doesn't necessarily need an escape
clause, especially one that escalates it to a formal "appeal".

We'll never be able to
define "unreasonable", but we will know such a situation when we see
it.

Everyone who writes rules always thinks this is the case, but it really
isn't - but, regardless, what's the benefit? Applicants already can
escalate things to the level of appeal basically any time they want anyway.

Joe