Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

2016-01-20 02:45:53
On 19/01/2016 9:04 PM, "Eggert, Lars" <lars(_at_)netapp(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 2016-01-19, at 10:24, Matthew Kerwin
<matthew(_at_)kerwin(_dot_)net(_dot_)au> wrote:

Can DNS-SD tell you what path to query (along with server and port), in
case the foo-speaking part of the server is nested within the regular
port-80 web server?

I'm not sure. But would you even need that? You can just make foo resolve
to 80.

Because I might have strong reasons to make my service available under
http://example.net/foo/ ... so I'd need a well known location that links to
the relevant entry points under "/foo" -- be that special headers or markup
in "/", or something in "/.well-known/", or something else.

At which point I'd have to ask, why not just use .well-known in the first
place?

I'm assuming that either: the person minting the URL doesn't know my server
setup (otherwise they could include the full path *and* the numerical port
from the start, and skip the whole dance); or this is for resolving non-URL
identifiers (like "foo:matty(_at_)example(_dot_)net")