Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-10.txt> (Ogg Encapsulation for the Opus Audio Codec) to Proposed Standard

2016-02-02 14:52:07
Ben's recent response to Tim captures the main point, but to reinforce what's said there:

We learned a lot as a community from going through the development of RFC6716, and there's been strong sentiment expressed that we wouldn't do things like produce normative code again. I think if we were able to repeat the exercise fresh, knowing what we learned, that we also wouldn't have made this copyright change in just this way. However, the most relevant point is that with RFC6716 we at least had an exceptional condition to point to. This draft does not have that.

It is not clear to me how the things you are hoping to achieve with this extra language are not already available to you (under fair use for example). In the copy below, you elided my suggestion that the draft argue why the existing boilerplate is insufficient.

It _is_ fairly clear to me that the kind of change you're asking for is not really specific to this draft, though. The community developed a set of acceptable boilerplate text blocks. The draft should use what we have, or convince the community that we need to change what we allow for RFCs.

RjS