Re: Is Fragmentation at IP layer even needed ?

2016-02-08 17:20:40
On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Carsten Bormann <cabo(_at_)tzi(_dot_)org> wrote:
Ronald Bonica wrote:
The words "many" and "some" don't do justice to the conversation.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-02
provides more concrete numbers from real-world observation.

Ah, but the result is much simpler.

Some other real world data (Google QUIC experiments) already tell us
that a sizable part of the Internet (was it 7 %?) is not reachable via
UDP at all.  This just ups that number slightly for IPv6 and UDP
protocols that don't have their own segmentation.

UDP, it was nice to have known you.

Maybe what we needed all along was a better TCP that allowed data to
be sent on the first packet.

That is what people keep seeming to re-invent.

Another of those cases where people keep telling me that there are
good reasons not to do that but don't ever get round to explaining
what they are. Not a form of argument that I find convincing. Having
conceded the point that data can be sent via UDP, the idea of
combining a UDP packet with a TCP open request seems fairly obvious.