Re: Is Fragmentation at IP layer even needed ?

2016-02-09 06:07:06
Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com> wrote:

Maybe what we needed all along was a better TCP that allowed data to
be sent on the first packet.

That is what people keep seeming to re-invent.

Another of those cases where people keep telling me that there are
good reasons not to do that but don't ever get round to explaining
what they are.

http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/tcp-impl/list/archive/1292.html

But I thought TCP fast open https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7413
fixed the design errors in T/TCP, so is it still considered a bad idea?

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
Fair Isle: Cyclonic 5 or 6 at first in south, otherwise northerly 7 to severe