Re: I-D Action: draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update-00.txt

2016-02-10 05:39:06

WRT the incomplete argument I'd ask the current (and past members) of the
IAOC to comment on the following questions (to paraphrase Leslie's note
quite a bit):

  Are there specific benefits to the IAOC to having the IAB chair continue
as a member of the IAOC that would not be met if he/she were replaced by
another member of the IAB?

Having an understanding and the connections related to (some of the) important
topics for the IAOC is a requirement, IMO. Of course the IAB chair is not the
only one who can have these qualities. Some of the things that are important at
the moment include meetings, IETF finances and sponsorships, IANA transition,
tools, RFC series, and secretariat/RFC editor operations.

yes, a major (but not majority) topic in the last year has been about
internet governance and what impacts the changes
in IANA management might have on the IETF and on the IETF Trust - it seems
that, at least for the last two IAB chairs, the
IAB chair has been the IAB point person on these topics and the chair’s
direct knowledge of what has been going on has
been quite helpful

This is very true. On the other hand, there’s been other IAB members with
perhaps different but still major personal involvement in the IANA topic (two
ICG members, head of the IAB IANA program, a WG chair, document editor…) And
another WG chair on this topic is on the IAOC.

I think Andrew has been the perfect person for connecting IANA-related
information to the IAOC. And driving the topic in general. However, that is to
some extent our own organisational choice, not something that can inherently be
done only that way. And in any case it has been a team effort with
IETF/IAB/ICG/IANAPLAN/IANAprog chairs and the program and WG members.

Jari