IAOC being effective (Was: Re: I-D Action: draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update-00.txt)

2016-02-10 06:09:08
John,

I'm much more interested in the
question of whether the IAOC is being effective today and how we
can make it more so than I am in how the IAB organizes itself.
In part because of the worked example I cited earlier (and some
others), I don't see the IAOC as working well.   I'd be happy to
be contradicted but, from the outside, it looks as if part of
the problem is too large a percentage of the membership being
stretched too thin.

I’ve been thinking about this topic recently :-)

And it certainly is worthwhile to consider evaluating how well our arrangements
work.

There are many things to think about, of course. In my mind relaxing the rules
on which IAB person should be involved is a good thing but it is a small thing.

There’s the way we make decisions and the teams who are involved in that. I’m
personally not a big fan of the magic knowledge through the all-knowing IAOC
model; I think it is more about us having the appropriate teams (subcommittees
in IAOC terminology) be the experts and make the proposed decisions, and the
IAOC’s role is due diligence, to confirm those decisions, and to oversee that
those teams and our staff are working well.

There are other organisational questions. But those are not the only ones, one
could ask about resources as well. I can observe a long-term trend where the
official IETF services grow (volunteer things move to commercial platform or
new services are needed). I can also observe a short-term trend where the
workload has increased due to various one-off situations, such as the new RFC
format tools work, IANA transition, starting up the hackathon series, training
for the ombudsteam, people changes in sponsorship arrangements at ISOC, and so
on.

Jari