Re: I-D Action: draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update-00.txt

2016-02-03 12:43:01

As this impacts more than just the IAB, it seems to me that this is incomplete without a (consensual) consideration of what the IAOC needs from the IAB representation.

This job is more than a liaison role, so some consideration of actual skillset and ability to represent the IAB view, act on behalf of the IAB when appropriate, and carry matters back to the IAB for timely and appropriate review seem kind of key factors. Also, if it’s not an ex officio position, it would seem reasonable to outline a mechanism whereby the IAOC could indicate to the IAB that things were not working/a replacement was needed. At the same time, lack of churn is useful to the IAOC’s internal functioning, so some level of term commitment would be useful, ISTM.

(Speaking purely for myself, of course, and not from my role as a member of the IAOC).

If, on the other hand, that seems like too much work, then perhaps the “IAB Chair has too many things to do” is a fig leaf to cover some IAB internal politicking, which would be a shame. There’s plenty of work that needs doing.

Leslie.

Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises
ldaigle(_at_)thinkingcat(_dot_)com