Re: I-D Action: draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update-00.txt

2016-02-03 13:29:00
On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Leslie Daigle
<ldaigle(_at_)thinkingcat(_dot_)com>
wrote:

As this impacts more than just the IAB, it seems to me that this is
incomplete without a (consensual) consideration of what the IAOC needs from
the IAB representation.

​So, I had been looking at this from the framing in RFC 4071, which seems
more like "what the community needs from X and Y for the IAOC".  If that's
not the right framing, I'd be happy to adjust, but I'm a little unclear on
how to do so. What would the form of the consideration of what the IAOC
needs be?​

This job is more than a liaison role, so some consideration of actual
skillset and ability to represent the IAB view, act on behalf of the IAB
when appropriate,  and carry matters back to the IAB for timely and
appropriate review seem kind of key factors.

​In general the IAB is trying to make those abilities more general, rather
than having only the chair be able to represent the IAB, carry matters back
to the IAB, etc.​

Also, if it’s not an ex officio position, it would seem reasonable to
outline a mechanism whereby the IAOC could indicate to the IAB that things
were not working/a replacement was needed.  At the same time, lack of churn
is useful to the IAOC’s internal functioning, so some level of term
commitment would be useful, ISTM.
​

​This document would have it remain an ex officio position, but shift the
office from "IAB Chair" to "Program Lead for the relevant program."  Mike's
proposal is different there.​

(Speaking purely for myself, of course, and not from my role as a member of
the IAOC).

If, on the other hand, that seems like too much work, then perhaps the
“IAB Chair has too many things to do” is a fig leaf to cover some IAB
internal politicking, which would be a shame.  There’s plenty of work that
needs doing.

The document arose out of ​discussions in the IAB about Chair devolution in
the face of time pressures.  This is touched on in the minutes here:

https://www.iab.org/documents/minutes/minutes-2015/iab-minutes-2015-11-01/

As I said in my response, the IAB has not actually formally reviewed this
document yet, so it is the opinion of the authors, not the IAB.  Because
this would update a BCP, it will eventually need to be considered by the
IETF as a whole in any case.

regards,

Ted

Leslie.