Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-behave-ipfix-nat-logging-06.txt> (IPFIX Information Elements for logging NAT Events)

2016-03-08 11:01:18
<snip>
8.1. New Information Elements / natLimitEvent, natThresholdEvent,

-> typo: " describer in Table below."

-> you should remove the "Table 22" and "Table 23" descriptions under those
tables, because these won't make any sense when the text is transcribed into
IANA's registry. E

[Senthil] I am not sure I understand why, because in section 8.1, for
natInstanceI,  internalAddressRealm, externalAddressRealm we have this format
of name/description/data type and references.
Why is natLimitEvent and natThresholdEvent different just because they have
their values defined?

You misunderstand: I mean the description text immediately underneath the
tables, specifically the text which says: "Table 22: Quota Exceeded event
table", "Table 23: Threshold event table", and "Table 24: NAT Event ID table".
I'm not talking about the table contents.

IANA will take the relevant sections from your draft into their IPFIX registry.
While "Table NN: whatever" makes perfect sense in the draft, it makes no sense
in IANA's IPFIX registry - so IANA would have to selectively edit the
definition you're providing. While I'm sure they're capable of doing that, the
issue would be avoided if those tables didn't have descriptions.

[Senthil2] Ok, understood and fixed.
8.2. Modified Information Elements / natEvent

-> Again, you can't modify the definitions of the existing values.

[Senthil] Is there a process on how to modify/deprecate the previously defined
values and replace it with new ones?

You can't modify the existing values, because there could be an unknown number
of existing devices already using those values. I hope that IANA has already
sent you feedback from the IPFIX expert reviewers indicating the best way
forward.

[Senthil2] I have not heard any suggestions yet from IANA, I will wait for the
review. Attaching the draft as it stands, with all the comments incorporated,
let me know if you have any comments before I publish.

Thanks
Senthil

P.