Re: ietf.org unaccessible for Tor users

2016-03-15 14:33:29
About 90% of SMTP is spam.  SMTP from Tor nodes is so close to 100%
that I don't know anyone who accepts mail from them.

Um, 90% by weight or by volume?

About the same either way.

More seriously what's the claim there: number of connections? Bytes?
Messages? Recipients?  (A possibility is that all of them are 90%, but
that seems unlikely to me and would be worh pointing out, too.)

Really, it's about the same. People have been collecting stats on this for upwards of a decade. For more details, Google is your friend.

Besides which 90% vs 100% doesn't seem very significant to me.

I gather you've never run a large mail system or talked to people who do. The 90% is an average over all sources. Some sources like the IETF's mail system send about 0% spam, some like Tor and botnetted old Wordpress servers send 100%, others are in between. To keep the load manageable, you reject mail from the very spammy sources and use your servers to filter what you accept.

There's a reason that every mail system of any size has a Spamhaus subscription.

R's,
John