RE: ietf.org unaccessible for Tor users

2016-03-15 11:26:22
Alec Muffett wrote :
I suspect IETF use is atypical where Tor is concerned. Most sites probably
just want to shut Tor exit nodes out.

This is something that Tor has failed to realize. Unlike the IETF, many sites
have no requirement or need to talk to people in another continent who need to
hide their identity.

why pick on people who want to access the IETF over Tor?

I don't think the IETF picks on people. The IETF tries to protect itself
against a known and very active attack vector.

Perhaps you wish to make some kind of moral stand against network protocols
which are sometimes used to do bad things?

It's not sometimes, it's all the time.

John R Levine wrote :
For all its noble intentions, most of the traffic that comes out of Tor is
malicious.

I would not go as far as saying "most of the traffic" (as it implies some
volume) but "most of the exit nodes are engaged in some malicious activity".

(Any service that is anonymous and free has the same problems.)  Cloudmark
and other providers
don't block or filter it for political reasons, they do so to protect their
users.

True. I don't use Cloudmark but I essentially do the same.

Michel.