Re: ietf.org unaccessible for Tor users

2016-03-15 22:53:32
also say yes on moral grounds as it happens, but one yes
should be enough for everyone except Molly Bloom:-)

It's a little far-fetched to expect those people familiar
with turgid, uninteresting, overlong, badly-written, misspelled
and ungrammatical internet-drafts to also be familiar with
Ulysses.
 Lloyd Wood lloyd(_dot_)wood(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
http://about.me/lloydwood

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie>
To: Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>; Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>; IETF Disgust List <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 1:25
Subject: Re: ietf.org unaccessible for Tor users

On 15/03/16 14:13, Eliot Lear wrote:
By providing the chaff

We are not doing that. We are providing our usual web site is
all. That we need to turn off an additional control added by
CF is not the same as actively providing cover traffic.

we are making a moral decision to
help those who use Tor.  Have we done so consciously and is it the right
one?

I don't think we (the IETF) need to decide that. We need to
decide to re-level the field for exit nodes so that people
who access the IETF site via those hosts aren't discommoded.

Speaking personally, I'd answer your question with a yes, but
not on moral grounds, rather because Tor is one of the most
widely used privacy enhancing technologies; the IETF should
encourage use of such so that we learn how to make privacy
better on the Internet, so therefore we should, I think, be
actively encouraging its use so we learn more about it. I
don't think the IETF has established that as a consensus
position, but nor should we have to. It's fairly obvious I
reckon.

I'd also say yes on moral grounds as it happens, but one yes
should be enough for everyone except Molly Bloom:-)

Cheers,
S.