Re: ietf.org end-to-end principle

2016-03-17 05:12:41
Hi,

But the fact that these solutions exist points to a need unmet by existing
e2e approaches. Someone in IETF operations had presumably thought out their
requirements when this service was procured. Embedding e2e within a solution
that satisfies those same operational requirements sounds like a potential
IETF WG charter in the making.

I'm sure that the situation as it is now is the result of planning; this
solution satisfies a need.

For the IETF as an SDO, this should be a lesson learnt then: we keep
developing protocols for an end-to-end world. The world out there is not
end-to-end though. (*)

And then people in the IETF wonder why the IETF is becoming more and
more irrelevant to the world out there.

It might be time to admit that end-to-end is not the one noble thing to
aspire to; but instead to accept deployed reality and develop protocols
which are of relevance in the presence of proxies, load-balancers, and more.

Is that a job for "just" a working group? I don't know; it more feels
like a cross-cutting job for the entire organisation.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

(*) Since we all love anecdotes: I remember a Minneapolis IETF when a
bar BOF had the topic of "proxy threats" which aimed to create a
document stating why proxies (be it web, RADIUS, ...) are evil and
should be avoided. Fast forward to this discussion here, and I have to
wonder when exactly I slipped into this parallel universe.

Josh.

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No.
GB 197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill,
Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

Jisc Services Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company limited
by guarantee which is registered in England under company number 2881024, VAT
number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: One Castle Park, Tower Hill,
Bristol BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche