Re: ietf.org end-to-end principle

2016-03-17 05:32:54
Hi,

For quite a while I have been asking whoever was willing to pay attention
whether the good-ole e2e principle is no longer applicable, and we should start
to formulate something like a c2c (where c would stand for “cloud”) or similar
principle, and think about how to preserve the desired properties of Internet
communication in its context.

Be goode,

On 17 Mar 2016, at 11:19 , Varma, Eve (Nokia - US)
<eve(_dot_)varma(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com<mailto:eve(_dot_)varma(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com>>
 wrote:

Hi,

This brings to mind the Aug. 2000 paper, "Rethinking the design of the
Internet: The end to end arguments vs. the brave new world" (D. D. Clark, M.
Blumenthal).

Best regards,
Eve

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of EXT Stefan
Winter
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:12 AM
To: Josh Howlett; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org<mailto:ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: ietf.org<http://ietf.org> end-to-end principle

Hi,

But the fact that these solutions exist points to a need unmet by existing e2e
approaches. Someone in IETF operations had presumably thought out their
requirements when this service was procured. Embedding e2e within a solution
that satisfies those same operational requirements sounds like a potential IETF
WG charter in the making.

I'm sure that the situation as it is now is the result of planning; this
solution satisfies a need.

For the IETF as an SDO, this should be a lesson learnt then: we keep developing
protocols for an end-to-end world. The world out there is not end-to-end
though. (*)

And then people in the IETF wonder why the IETF is becoming more and more
irrelevant to the world out there.

It might be time to admit that end-to-end is not the one noble thing to aspire
to; but instead to accept deployed reality and develop protocols which are of
relevance in the presence of proxies, load-balancers, and more.

Is that a job for "just" a working group? I don't know; it more feels like a
cross-cutting job for the entire organisation.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

(*) Since we all love anecdotes: I remember a Minneapolis IETF when a bar BOF
had the topic of "proxy threats" which aimed to create a document stating why
proxies (be it web, RADIUS, ...) are evil and should be avoided. Fast forward
to this discussion here, and I have to wonder when exactly I slipped into this
parallel universe.

Josh.

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No. GB
197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill, Bristol,
BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

Jisc Services Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company limited
by guarantee which is registered in England under company number 2881024, VAT
number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: One Castle Park, Tower Hill,
Bristol BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

PGP key updated to 4096 Bit RSA - I will encrypt all mails if the recipient's
key is known to me

Dr Diego R. Lopez
Telefonica I+D
http://people.tid.es/diego.lopez/

e-mail: diego(_dot_)r(_dot_)lopez(_at_)telefonica(_dot_)com
Tel:    +34 913 129 041
Mobile: +34 682 051 091
----------------------------------

________________________________

Este mensaje y sus adjuntos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario, puede
contener información privilegiada o confidencial y es para uso exclusivo de la
persona o entidad de destino. Si no es usted. el destinatario indicado, queda
notificado de que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin
autorización puede estar prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha
recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente
por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.

The information contained in this transmission is privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, do not
read it. Please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this
communication in error and then delete it.

Esta mensagem e seus anexos se dirigem exclusivamente ao seu destinatário, pode
conter informação privilegiada ou confidencial e é para uso exclusivo da pessoa
ou entidade de destino. Se não é vossa senhoria o destinatário indicado, fica
notificado de que a leitura, utilização, divulgação e/ou cópia sem autorização
pode estar proibida em virtude da legislação vigente. Se recebeu esta mensagem
por erro, rogamos-lhe que nos o comunique imediatamente por esta mesma via e
proceda a sua destruição