Re: ietf.org end-to-end principle

2016-03-20 18:05:06

There have been a number of arguments raised, in favor of reducing the amount
of time needed to perform various I* tasks, and especially that of area
director.  But while 'diversity' and 'size of the pool of candidates' have
often been mentioned, I don't recall previously seeing the above point made,
nevermind highlighted.  And highlighted it should be...

I think Melinda's suggestion that we would get more leaders who are directly
responsible for delivering technology and products and services, rather than
merely being adjuncts to such efforts, is remarkably well-taken.

That has certainly been the general thinking in the IESG. Leadership that is
connected to day-to-day networking work will be more connected with real-world
realities, priorities (besides being easier to recruit and can more easily fund
their activities).

(But cutting tasks is difficult, it is more of a culture of what ADs feel they
must do; some ADs are able to combine significant day job efforts with the
task, successfully, however.)

Jari