Re: ietf.org end-to-end principle

2016-03-17 07:30:01
Stefan,

This is a really interesting discussion, and probably worthwhile for our
perception of where the Internet is headed.

But, before we draw too many conclusions, may I ask what constitutes an
end-to-end solution in this space, and what does not? I may be dense today, but
it isn’t necessarily clear for me.

Which ones of the following practices are not end-to-end:

* a mirror
* a server that implements some (possibly dynamic) rules on what connection
attempts are honoured
* collaboration between the routing system and servers on controlling dos
attacks
* a server that has login or captcha procedures, run on the server
* a server that login or captcha procedures, but they are implemented on a
different entity where traffic is redirected as needed
* a server that is duplicated or copied in multiple instances
* server(s) residing on an any cast address
* arrangements where DNS or other mechanisms are used to distribute requests to
the most suitable or geographically local point
* a server whose function is distributed to a number of nodes (such as a load
balancer in front)
* arrangements where the server is run by a contracted party
* the concept of a CDN

(My quick reaction to all of the above is that these are still arrangements
that are in the hands of the party that serves information; the emergence of
these practices in the Internet is more about the scale of the services than
about inserting NAT- or firewall like other parties on a path. But I could be
wrong...)

Jari