RE: ietf.org end-to-end principle

2016-03-17 05:20:15
Hi,

This brings to mind the Aug. 2000 paper, "Rethinking the design of the
Internet: The end to end arguments vs. the brave new world" (D. D. Clark, M.
Blumenthal).

Best regards,
Eve

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of EXT Stefan
Winter
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:12 AM
To: Josh Howlett; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: ietf.org end-to-end principle

Hi,

But the fact that these solutions exist points to a need unmet by existing
e2e approaches. Someone in IETF operations had presumably thought out their
requirements when this service was procured. Embedding e2e within a solution
that satisfies those same operational requirements sounds like a potential
IETF WG charter in the making.

I'm sure that the situation as it is now is the result of planning; this
solution satisfies a need.

For the IETF as an SDO, this should be a lesson learnt then: we keep developing
protocols for an end-to-end world. The world out there is not end-to-end
though. (*)

And then people in the IETF wonder why the IETF is becoming more and more
irrelevant to the world out there.

It might be time to admit that end-to-end is not the one noble thing to aspire
to; but instead to accept deployed reality and develop protocols which are of
relevance in the presence of proxies, load-balancers, and more.

Is that a job for "just" a working group? I don't know; it more feels like a
cross-cutting job for the entire organisation.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

(*) Since we all love anecdotes: I remember a Minneapolis IETF when a bar BOF
had the topic of "proxy threats" which aimed to create a document stating why
proxies (be it web, RADIUS, ...) are evil and should be avoided. Fast forward
to this discussion here, and I have to wonder when exactly I slipped into this
parallel universe.

Josh.

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No.
GB 197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill,
Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

Jisc Services Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company limited
by guarantee which is registered in England under company number 2881024, VAT
number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: One Castle Park, Tower Hill,
Bristol BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

PGP key updated to 4096 Bit RSA - I will encrypt all mails if the recipient's
key is known to me