Re: Fuzzy words [was Uppercase question for RFC2119 words]

Where we can get into real trouble is if a spec contains should, recommended,
may and optional *plus* other non-categorical (fuzzy) words like ought,
encourage, suggest, can, might, allowed, permit (and I did not pull those
words out of the air, but out of draft-hansen-nonkeywords-non2119). What do
they mean? It can be very unclear. If a node receives a message containing
an element covered in the spec by "allowed" instead of "OPTIONAL", is the
receiver supposed to interoperate or to reject the message?

Yes, this.  There seems to be a sort of MUSTSHOULDMAYphobia.  The
contortions some people will go through to avoid the words when that is
what they mean is, at times, hilarious; but at other times harmful to
interoperability.

Eliot