Re: [rtcweb] Uppercase question for RFC2119 words

2016-03-30 09:35:14
On 3/30/2016 7:09 AM, Adam Roach wrote:
- There are similar-looking English words that are not capitalized,
and they have their normal English meanings; this document has nothing
to do with them.

Yes. This. This, this, this, a million times, this. If we published a
document that said only this, it would be a huge net win for the community.

Assuming that merely documenting this explicitly is sufficient, perhaps.

That such a rule differs from natural English -- which does not typically alter semantics based on case -- and that most readers of RFCs will not have such detailed knowledge of RFC2119 nor read RFCs with the care such a rule demands, my question BARRY and adam and EveryOne Else, is what makes anyone think that such a rule must (MUST?) ensure proper reading of RFCs so as to distinguish between normative portions and advisory portions?

It's worth distinguishing between rules that make the writers more comfortable, from rules that aid the reading efficacy in practical terms.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking