An update on IETF 100 planning

2016-04-07 10:15:40

At Wednesday’s plenary meeting, we were pleased to announce that contracts are finalized and the IETF 100 meeting is set to take place in Singapore.

As a first comment from the floor, an issue was identified: Singapore has laws that discriminate against LGBTQ people, which were raised as a concern by some members of our community.

The IAOC and its Meetings Committee were unaware of these laws when the meeting location was selected.

At this point, there are 2 separate issues to be addressed: 1/ reviewing the current committed plan for IETF 100 and 2/ reviewing our meeting planning procedures to ensure that we have input at appropriate points to ensure issues are identified and addressed before contracts are signed and announcements made.

Dealing with IETF 100 is the first order of business. The IAOC is gathering information about the situation — including the full cost of canceling existing contracts, so that the IETF community can have a fuller picture from which to provide guidance for our next steps.

More as we have it.

Leslie.
IAOC Chair.

Leslie Daigle