Re: Qualifying for NomCom

2016-04-07 16:57:51
On 04/07/2016 11:21 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
How's this look for starters?

http://blackops.org/~msk/draft-kucherawy-nomcom-procexp.txt
<http://blackops.org/%7Emsk/draft-kucherawy-nomcom-procexp.txt>

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
<mailto:brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    On 08/04/2016 08:52, Michael Richardson wrote:
    >     > On the other hand, I realize now that previous thread went on
longer
    >     > than I remembered, and there was a proposal that we (I,
    probably)
    >     > construct an RFC3933-style process experiment and let that
    run for a
    >     > while. If it works well, we can codify it by adding it to
    RFC7437bis.
    >     > So I'll do that. If anyone wants to volunteer to
    collaborate on it,
    >     > please contact me directly.
    >
    > Yes, let's do that!
    >
    > It would awesome if we could say definitely that the new rules
    > contribute to more volunteers before we actually use them.

    That's not quite how RFC3933 works. You'd *actually* run the
    experimental
    procedure for (say) one cycle, with automatic reversion to RFC7437
    unless
    RFC7437bis was approved. I think it's a good idea. A one-year
    experiment
    affects ~half the IESG and IAB seats so is highly unlikely to lead to
    disaster.

Two suggestions:

- Scope objections and aborts to the time between the announcement of
the final list of volunteers and the selection of the comittee. This
closes the loophole that the powers-that-be can look at the selected
nomcom, say "we don't like this group", and force a re-selection by
spuriously objecting.

- The timing says "This experiment is defined to last for one year,
starting and ending with the constitution of the next NomCom after this
document is approved and published." - this is neither determinate nor
grammatical, I think - in particular, it starts and ends at the same time.

I suggest "This experiment is defined to start with the first call for
volunteers after IESG approval of this document, and ends with the
selection of the nomcom from that volunteer pool. Evaluation of the
experiment will be done after the selection process of the formed nomcom
completes."

Otherwise - go for it!

       Brian

--