Re: The ecosystem is moving

2016-05-13 13:00:18
BGP

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On 5/13/2016 10:32 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:

I have to agree with Martin's general conclusions here: using XMPP is
really hard, both as an end-user and as a provider.   I am able to get
it working about one out of every three IETFs.  The sticky wicket tends
to be finding a place that will both host my XMPP account _and_
interoperate with the IETF's XMPP server.

Why doesn't the IETF just operate an XMPP server on which IETF
participants can get accounts?   Layer 9, or is it just really hard?

Yes, but...

The IETF is supposed to be about interoperability.  If XMPP has on-going
utility problems with interoperability, the IETF should look for ways to
fix them.

To date, we really only have two services that demonstrate open (ie,
multi-administration) interoperability at Internet scale:  email and DNS.

After this many years, that's sad.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker