Under-represented communities [Re: Long-term IETF evolution thoughts]

2016-06-12 15:24:58
Hi Nalini,
On 13/06/2016 03:26, nalini(_dot_)elkins(_at_)insidethestack(_dot_)com wrote:
... there are some other communities which are under-represented:
1.  Large enterprise operators / other operators

This has been a chronic problem for >20 years. When I first came,
I was in that camp (running the networking group at CERN) but it
was a fight to justify travel funding and to be away from the shop
whenever anything went wrong. Most operations people are two steps
downstream from RFCs (via implementors and salespeople).

At least, we make efforts to reach this community via NANOG, APRICOT,
RIPE and the like.

2.  Implementors (other than open source)

If you mean the people actually writing the code, indeed. I don't want
to insult anybody but most vendors don't send coders to standards meetings.
And as somebody commented recently in another context, coders themselves
often don't rely on RFCs, they go look on stackoverflow.com.

3.  Startups (I believe this was brought up before)

Most startups focus on getting to revenue and see standards work as unjustified
expense.

So, yes, these are problems but I'm quite pessimistic about solving them.

   Brian