Re: DMARC methods in mailman --- [LEDE-DEV] DMARC related mass bounces / disabled subscriptions (fwd) Jo-Philipp Wich: [LEDE-DEV] DMARC related mass bounces / disabled subscriptions

2016-12-15 12:44:45

Yoav Nir <ynir(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > So what do you suggest we do?

    > I think something like the following will not have the same problem:

    > IETF discussion list on behalf of Michael Richardson
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

    > But that just saves us from data leakage. It doesn’t get the right
    > value into the address book.

Agreed.

I think that there are two problems that we haven't solved relating to
address books.

1) a standard header which says, "The stuff in the From: address is useless,
   please don't remember". It might also indicate the whole "this mailbox
   is not monitored" business.

2) a standard header which says, "If you want to remember who this was from,
   you should record XYZ"

Of course, From: was supposed to be (2), and we also have Sender:,
and we have the SMTP From which was supposed to be for errors.

(2) might really be a no-op with no legitimate use, and/or it might have
    some significant downside.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-