Re: Review of draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-06

2017-01-10 18:48:41
Brian,

Thanks for the review!

On Jan 10, 2017, at 8:32 AM, Brian Haberman
<brian(_at_)innovationslab(_dot_)net> wrote:

Reviewer: Brian Haberman
Review result: Ready with Nits

I just have a few comments/questions on this draft. Overall, it is in
pretty good shape...

1. Section 2.2.3 looks like a complete re-production of RFC 5952, but
I don't see a reference to 5952. Is the intent to deprecate 5952 since
its content is now contained within 4291bis?

I didn’t include a direct reference in the Section as incorporates the changes,
but it is included in Appendix B describing the changes.

No current intent to deprecate RFC5952 as it updates RFC4291.  I don’t see very
much value in deprecating (Historic?) the updating RFCs.

2. Section 2.6.1 captures some information about reserved IPv6
multicast addresses, but not all of them. I think it would be
beneficial to point to the IPv6 Multicast Address Allocation registry
maintained by IANA, much like the way Section 2.3 points to the IANA
registries.

That makes sense.  Something like a new paragraph at the end of the section
like:

Additional defined multicast address can be found in the IANA IPv6 Multicast
Address Allocation registry [XXX]

XXX:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses/ipv6-multicast-addresses.xhtml.

3. Also in Section 2.6.1, the names of reserved addresses, like "All
Nodes Addresses", were made all lowercase. Was that intentional? Given
that IANA refers to them with capitalization, it would seem that we
need to be consistent. So, I would either retain the capitalization in
this document or ensure that Section 3 directs IANA to update the
names in the registries.

It was capitalized in RFC4291.  It looks like the change was introduced in
draft-hinden-6man-rfc4291bis-01.   I think may have been accidentally part of
changing the text addresses to lower case as part of the RFC5952 update.  I
agree it should be the way it was in RFC4291.  Will change.

Thanks,
Bob