Re: Review of draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-06

2017-01-13 01:03:27
and then next year we will go through another draft and have another
exception.  just get rid of classful addressing.  we went through
this in the '90s.

The problem is (and why we wrote 7421) is that stuff breaks with
subnet prefixes longer than 64, *except* for the point-to-point case
covered by 6164. Yes, I see the problem in enshrining this but I think
we face signifcant issues if we do otherwise.

What we could conceivably say is that /64 is mandatory except for
links where SLAAC will never be used.

i have no problem with this.  i use slaac in environments where ip
assignment is unimportant and there is only one exit, such as my home
networks.  fwiw, in racks, i use static addressing for ipv6 because
dhcpv6 is broken.

randy