To "lose the argument in the WG"

2017-02-13 22:52:10
Twice in as many days I've seen folks make the argument that a WG participant ought not bring up an issue during IETF Last Call that was already discussed in the WG because that participant "lost the argument" in the WG. I hate the construction, and I think even making the claim harms the process.

In one case, it appears that the chair judged that the WG couldn't come to consensus on a definitive statement and therefore concluded that a compromise statement was appropriate. It is quite appropriate for WG participants to say during Last Call, "We think the chair made an error. There remains a technical failing in this document that is not appropriately addressed by the compromise language. We tried to convince the chair of this, to no avail, and hope that others in the community review this particular point and maybe try to make the case clearer than we were able to." That's going to require some rehashing, though hopefully the chair and/or AD can fairly summarize the arguments and why they came to the conclusion they did, which should shorten the discussion. But the points need to be brought out, the in-the-rough WG participants should be able to identify where the perceived error was made, and the community can put in its two cents. You can't say, at this point, that anyone "lost the argument", and certainly not that they ought to be quiet.

(In that particular case, I've also seen people say, "I give up; I'm not discussing it anymore". That's a pain, since the issue hasn't gone away, even if the proponent has, so the chair or AD is left to make sure it gets dealt with without help. We really need to stop that.)

In the other case, my understanding is that the chair and/or AD judged that a particular set of functionality was outside of the scope of the document and/or chartered-work in question. The WG participant who felt that the functionality should be in-scope and is perfectly within bounds to make the case that the functionality is somehow necessary during Last Call. The chair and/or AD should summarize why they judged the functionality to be out of scope. Others in the community might want to take up the argument and explain why it should be added. But again, saying that the participant cannot make an argument that was "not won" in the WG is unreasonable.

Do note that in both cases, I think it's only fair that the person bringing up the issue clearly states what's going on. For instance, in the second case the person should really have said, "This was judged out-of-scope by the WG/chair, but I think it ought not be out-of-scope because of X, Y, and Z". Simply saying, "Please make this change to the document" as if it were never discussed before is not helpful to the rest of the list during Last Call.

In any event, I think it's vital that the chair and/or AD actively manage the Last Call discussion when these sorts of things happen. They are the judges of consensus, and they are the ones that are going to have to make the call in the end, so having them explain their thinking is vital.

End of rant.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478