Re: To "lose the argument in the WG"

2017-02-14 02:41:12

On 14/02/2017 07:43, John C Klensin wrote:
Where I think we agree is that, while there should be a
presumption that a WG that produces a draft and claims consensus
for it has done its work and gotten it right, that presumption
should not be very strong, should be easy to challenge, and that
the position of someone who disagreed with the WG decision
should not be dismissed on that basis.

Yes, it is the prospect of a complete re-run of the argument at IETF LC
that keeps WGs honest.

We have to accept the real possibility that fresh eyes on the text
or fresh ears listening to the contra-arguments may consider the WG
to have made an incorrect decision. That is the whole purpose of
IETF LC, and we should do nothing to constrain this important
element of our quality control process.

- Stewart