Re: To "lose the argument in the WG"

2017-02-18 03:54:24
Hi John, Dave,
At 06:50 PM 2/14/2017, John Leslie wrote:
   We're scared of appeals, without good reason. (Heck, _I_ was scared
of them five years ago!)

   The IESG, IMHO, is far better able to process appeals than it was
five years ago; and I believe they're essentially ready to formalize
a way to deal with appeals without shooting the messenger.

There isn't any reason to be scared of appeals if the WG took an informed decision. It might be better to do that instead of going through a lengthy discussion.

   Name-calling _is_ the IETF way, :^( :^(

   We've exhausted yet-another IETF Chair trying to cure people of
discourtesy so obvious that you'd get sued for it in a normal world.
I'm not fool enough to think I'll have any better luck; but I can
at least speak in support of Pete!

Name-calling does not help in a discussion. At least the IETF Chair tried to address uncivil discussions publicly instead of looking the other way. It is obviously an exhausting effort.

   There isn't anybody "running last-call".

   If there were, s/he would have no tools to "shut that down".

It is possible to take a decision. That does not shut down the discussion; it tells other people whether it is useful to keep discussing about the issue.

   But I have a suggestion (which I guess is why I'm bothering to type
this):

   We have pretty good archive tools availabe for every IETF mail-list.

   Occasionally, I see a posting, "Please read the thread starting at

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/l4Mi7p-KJanEP1FuEmCDclo6REA

before posting any more on this subject."

   This is actually helpful!

   If the person has read the thread and _is_ merely repeating things
already said in that thread, s/he deserves censure, and this will be
obvious to anyone checking that thread.

   If this is new material to the person so advised, it will multiply
greatly the "clue" level going forward.

Wouldn't it be better to summarize the thread instead of asking a participant to go through a long thread?