Why do we have working group charters (was: To "lose the argument in the WG")

2017-02-19 01:08:39
Hi Ted, John,

[I changed the subject line]

At 07:10 PM 2/18/2017, Ted Lemon wrote:
Joel Halpern pointed out privately that I somewhat misrepresented the process here. The IETF review process for working group charters does not require that there be IETF consensus to approve the charter. This is true, butdoesn't actually refute my claim that it is a process failure if the IESG approves a charter and then allows a working group to do work that exceeds the bounds of the charter. That _is_ a process failure, in the simple literal sense that the process did not produce the right outcome: the IETF community was not given an opportunity to review the charter that would have included the work that was done. If we think that's okay, why do we have working group charters at all?

A Working Group charter is approved by the IESG and the IAB [1]. The working group charter would be a theoretical exercise if the charter which was published diverges significantly from what was actually done. I agree that it is a process failure.

The way the process _should_ have gone in this case is that when the IESG noticed that new work needed to be done by a particular working group, they updated the charter to reflect that, and got IETF review of the updated charter. In this case, you are right that if the IETF community was clearly opposed to the new work, the IESG could still approve the charter. But this would be extraordinary.

It does not seem that difficult to ask for a recharter. The relevant AD(s) could bring the matter to the attention of the IESG instead of having to ignore or to deal with a process failure.

And this is why the IETF community shouldn't treat charter updates as pro forma. Charter review is an important part of the feedback mechanism that keeps the IETF a consensus-driven organization. Doing out-of-charter work, or lawyering the charter to say that work that really isn't part of the intent of the charter nevertheless conforms to the letter of the charter, bypasses this important step.

Describing the process issue as "lawyering" conveys the idea that it is unreasonable to complain about such issues. I agree with what you wrote about the feedback mechanism.