Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-07.txt> (IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture) to Internet Standard

2017-02-22 08:54:36
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 11:41 PM, Job Snijders <job(_at_)ntt(_dot_)net> wrote:

That argument is nonsensical. You can't prove that A is better than B
only
by saying that A is not the same as B.

Since you are unwilling to accept that there could be downsides to using
a /64, i understand the argument makes no sense to you. Reasonable
people can disagree with each other.

I stand by the position that "/126 is better than /64 because /126 is not
/64" is a nonsensical argument. Saying "/126 is better than /64 due to
reasons A, B, C, ..." will likely be more effective - well, depending on
what A, B and C are. But I haven't heard much in the way of supporting
evidence from you other than "my network uses lots of prefix lengths thus
/64 is bad". That in itself is not convincing to me. Perhaps I am missing
something else you said?

Why publish a document that conflicts with (almost) every deployed
global IPv6 backbone? This would be a farce.

"Conflicts with the NTT backbone" != "conficts with almost every deployed
backbone". The backbone I am familiar with uses a combination of /127, /64,
and link-local point to point interfaces, or at least it did last time I
checked.

Also, backbone networks are a tiny percentage of the links on the planet.