Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis prohibiting non-/64 subnets

2017-02-24 04:14:55

On 24 Feb 2017, at 11:33, Gert Doering <gert(_at_)space(_dot_)net> wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 06:04:30PM +0900, Erik Kline wrote:
IMHO having /64 as the logical unit of allocation to network leaves
is a very good thing.

Why, exactly, except "because it was decided to be that way, many years
ago"?

(Not that I have any plans to fight that particular windmill, but /64
never made sense to me, after all the more interesting aspects of 8+8
never happened, and thus, effectively, IPv6 today is "IPv4 with longer
addresses" as far as "hosts attaching to networks" and "routing" is
concerned...)

Wasting half the address space and then having to start arguments on
the amount of subnets available to home users ("can we give them a
/48, or will we run out?", "can we give ISPs enough space so they can
give all their users a /48, or do we need to make this a /56?", "how
much conservation is required by ISPs?") is major silliness - something
like a /96 would have served the aspect "more machines than you can
imagine per subnet" perfectly well.

And you can see RFC 5739 on how a /64 subnet is required for each road warrior
connected to a VPN.  You’d need a /56 or /48 to do what a /24 does in IPv4.

Yoav