Re: [mail-ng] Mailing List

2004-01-29 14:45:12

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:15:43 +0100
Markus Gloede <markus(_dot_)gloede(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> wrote:

Interesting that the list should start with such a basic yet mail
related question.

Quite.

I for one vote against this since in longer threads with different
MUAs involved subjects might become quite ugly,

While I dislike Subject: tags as signal-losing cruft, your argument is
weak.  Any competent MLM will flatten and prevent such tag growths.
Majordomo, which this list uses, should have little problem.

Most email programs are capable to filter using To and From addresses.

List-ID (RFC 2369) is the ideal header to file by.  Unfortunately this
list is not currently configured to support List-Id, tho it does other
List-* headers.  Outside of the List-* headers, Sender: is the most
reliable as it is proof across BCCs.  To: and From: are weak on that
score.

While we're discussing trivialities: I suggest (if the mail list
handling software is capable of doing this) that the Reply-To header
be set to the list address to avoid discussions going off-list
involuntarily.

This is a well battered minefield:

  http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

I'd prefer no reply-to munging for the reasons stated in Chip
Rosenthal's screed.

P.S.: Is there going to be a list archive? If yes, will personal email
addresses in the messages be obscured?

Gmane is probably the best bet, and adds the benefit of making the list
available via NNTP:

  http://gmane.org/

Depending on the configuration used for the GMane mirror, email
addresses can be obscured or not:

  http://gmane.org/tmda.php

With the list owner's permission I'll get the ball rolling on having
this list mirrored on GMane.

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?