Re: Why are we here? What are our goals?

2004-01-30 10:01:32

On Jan 30, 2004, at 2:55 AM, Paul Smith wrote:

The vast majority of the spam I receive has anonymous headers/envelope information.

no, it doesn't. Unless your own mail server is really, really broken, it knows the IP address of the machine it was sent from. Therefore, that message isn't anonymous, because you can trace the message back to the sending machine.

The problem is -- once you do that, you can't do a damn thing else. So even SMTP has an authentication mechanism (HELO/ELHO) -- it just isn't tied into any realistic authorization mechanism (I know who you are, here's what you're allowed to do)