Re: Why are we here? What are our goals?

2004-01-30 11:16:49

Florian Weimer <fw(_at_)deneb(_dot_)enyo(_dot_)de> writes:
How do you want to prevent users from accumulating millions of
pseudonyms?

User registration is an extremely tough problem, and nobody has
developed anything that withstands the continuous assaults from spam
gangs and the lunatic fringe.

The only strong solution I see to this is to reverse the presumption
- you may NOT send me mail, unless you can give me a reason why I
should allow you.  This is my preferred solution to the spam problem.
I could propose at least half-a-dozen mechanisms by which you might
get such permission, such that the need for it is almost never an
impediment to the legitimate sender.
--
  __  Paul Crowley
\/ o\ sig(_at_)paul(_dot_)ciphergoth(_dot_)org