Re: Why are we here? What are our goals?

2004-01-30 22:32:17

On Jan 30, 2004, at 3:54 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

I'm unconvinced that a HELO equivalent is necessary.

there needs to be some kind of negotiation. HELO is pretty worthless, EHLO is moving in the right direction, but needs to be kicked up a notch. Let the other side know acceptable usage patterns and other info, so servers can adjust their sending pattern to the receiving preferences on a per-connection basis. there also needs to be a clear authentication, so at least we know who we're talking to. On both sides (one thing we haven't talked about at all is that we *also* need to make sure who we plan on sending mail to ought to be allowed to receive it...)

Its been fun people.

Oh.

rule 1 of groups: when personal agendas and group agendas clash, don't expect the personal agenda to take priority. but when it doesn't, of course, blame it on the group. it's their fault.