Re: Why are we here? What are our goals?

2004-02-01 15:45:21

On Feb 1, 2004, at 12:48 PM, John W. Noerenberg II wrote:

Well, now you've gone and made the tacit assumption explicit, Iljitsch.  Should it be possible for a sender using a romanized script to address a message destined for a receiver using an oriental script (to pick one specific situation)?

Given that it's a common occurrence today, it needs to exist. Think of all of the asian-native speakers that are subscribed to various english-language mailing lists for various open source projects based in north america or europe.

Many people are bilingual, especially outside of the U.S. And many of us communicate globally already, by finding a common tongue (english or whatever), which may or may not be 'native' for either of us, or for our operating systems.

And then there are programs that generate e-mail. How many languages does Mailman support in translations? What's its 'native' language, anyway?

robots programmed to abuse the mail system. I now have decent anti-spam software, but the trouble is that I still have to go through all rejected messages to see whether there are any false positives.

not so silly question: the modern postal system dates back to Benjamin Franklin, and paper-based mail dates back to the creation of paper (and before that, there was probably clay-based cuneiform mail, but the messenger rates higher) -- and have you ever made the mistake of throwing away a bill, or opening up an ad thinking it was something else?

false positives and false negatives. And that system's had hundreds to thousands of years to be perfected. So -- let's start by realizing that 100% perfection only exists in theory.

Receivers should be able to distinguish messages specifically addressed to them from those that are not.

Not quite right. Try this:

Receiving systems should be given the information needed to decide whether to accept the message, and recipient users should be given the information needed to decide whether to open/read the message in a way that's trustable and reliable.

"Specifically addressed to them" isn't really the answer. "Whether they want it" is. The former excludes stuff like multi-cast messaging, for instance or, if you want to be pedantic (I don't) mailing list messages, since those are addressed to a mail list they happen to be a member of. The latter is what you're really looking for: "someone offered me this message. do I accept it?"

Addressing is just one one aspect of acceptance. after all, the reason all that spam ends up in your mailbox is because it *is* addressed to you -- it's the sender information that's forged that's the problem.